||Coating formulation is too viscous, or is not atomizing effectively.
- Consult with Ashland to select an Aquarius™ film coating formulation that produces lower viscosity coating suspensions and/or atomizes more finely under typical process conditions. Learn more.
||Coating suspension is not atomizing effectively.
- Consider reducing the solids concentration to reduce viscosity.
- Optimize the atomizing air pressure/volume to get more effective atomization.
- Ensure that spray gun setup has been optimized so that there is no mis-spraying, that all spray guns are spraying at the same rate, and the gun-to-bed distance is optimal and consistent for each spray gun.
- Ensure that drying conditions and spray rates are balanced to minimize any spray-drying effects.
||Overwetting of the tablet bed is occurring, causing film rubbing.
- Ensure that spray gun setup has been optimized so that there is no mis-spraying, that all spray guns are spraying at the same rate, and that each is providing the same area of coverage over the tablet bed surface.
- Decrease spray rate and/or increase processing temperature.
- Increase pan speed to reduce dwell time in the spray zone.